Friday, September 14, 2012

Upgrading to Mac OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Finally, 50 days after the release of Mac OS X Mountain Lion, I made the step of going online on Mac App Store and investing £13.99 in Mountain Lion Operating system.

I was actually eagerly waiting for the iPhone 5 event with a thought that Apple is quite good at surprises and may be there is something new in regards to Mac OS operating system, however, after yesterday's Apple Event, I made up my mind to go for the latest operating system.

Having used Mac OS X 10.7 (Lion), I have been pretty satisfied with the gestures, ease of using operating system, some new in built features, etc. I haven't used much of Snow Leopard and not at all used any operating systems of Mac previous to Snow Leopard and so I don't really know how good have they been, but from what I have been hearing and what I have been experiencing having shifted from a 10 year long Windows usage history, Mac OS X Lion has been really outstanding and had outpaced my expectations every time so far.



As I purchase my first Macbook Pro (Early 2011) in June 2011, I got a free upgrade to Mac OS X Lion from the pre installed version of Snow Leopard and being a student, I was also given a gift card of £65 to be used at any of the Apple's App Stores under Apple Back to School Promotion.

So, I today made my first purchase at the Mac App Store for £13.99. The reviews I read are mixed, however I have used Mountain Lion personally on a friends Macbook Air that he purchased recently (a couple of months back) and I was really amazed at its ease of use and specially the new Mountain Lion game centre, so I thought, Sept 12 2012 would be the Judgement Day for me when I would decide whether or not I must buy the Mac OS X Mountain Lion after the event of iPhone 5.

The download however is of the size of slightly over 4 GB, and being on a not so reliable internet connection, it would take over a day's time to download the entire operating system, and lets not forget after this there are going to be updates of several hundred MBs or may be over a GB or so.



Apple does have some stores in the city of Ahmedabad, India, however they are not exclusive Apple Stores, they are either stores of its premium resellers like imagine Stores, or with other major local retail stores like Croma, Vijay Sales, etc. having called them up recently asking for a reliable internet connection to download the new operating system, they all become lame and say, they don't have high speed internet connection either and there is nothing they could do about it.

So now, lets just wait for the download to finish .... 

1 comment:

  1. Upgrading the hard drive in an iMac is a DIY project that has always been a difficult, though not impossible, task. With the advent of the late 2009 edition iMacs, there’s a new twist that limits how you can upgrade the iMac’s hard drive.
    macbook repairs

    ReplyDelete

Please comment here!

Google+